Thursday, April 30, 2009

Mexico shuts nonessential services amid swine flu

MEXICO CITY – Mexico is telling citizens to stay home, urging businesses to close for five days and suspending government services as the World Health Organization warns the swine flu outbreak is on the brink of becoming a global epidemic.

In the United States, where swine flu has been confirmed in 11 states, President Barack Obama told Americans the government was "taking the utmost precautions and preparations" to stop the virus.

Mexican President Felipe Calderon said in a televised address that only essential businesses such as supermarkets, hospitals and pharmacies should stay open, and only critical government workers such as police and soldiers would be on duty from Friday through Tuesday. School had already been canceled nationwide through Tuesday.

The steps are aimed at stopping further spread of the virus, blamed for 168 deaths in Mexico and one in the United States, even though the WHO has suggested nations should focus on minimizing its effects, not containing its spread.

"There will be no government activities — those that are not fundamental for citizens — nor any private-sector activities that are not fundamental to common life," Calderon said Wednesday night in a televised address.

"There is no safer place to protect yourself against catching swine flu than in your house," he said, defending the government against criticism that it had been slow to act against signs of a new and dangerous virus.

-snip-

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Does anyone know of a web site for telling personal stories related to this flu? The USGS has a site called "Did you feel it?" which can help them understand the location and magnitude of an earthquake. Something like that would be good in this case. Anyway, here is my story: I spent Saturday evening (4/25/09) in a crowded Sacramento CA restaurant (flu has been reported in Sacramento). Now, for the past 2 days I have been getting intermittent symptoms. First respiratory, now intestinal. It comes and goes and so far my fever has not spiked. None of that is interesting ... but THIS is: Last spring I developed an extremely serious and long-lasting flu. Like nothing I've ever had in my life. This DESPITE the fact I'd gotten the seasonal vaccine! I'm wondering if I had something like the current strain and I am now partially immune. It feels like something is trying very hard to crack into my system, but not (yet) being successful.

Commonground said...

Hi Helen,
I do hope you are feeling better soon. I don't know of a specific site that gives personal accounts. Although, you may find one listed in one of our "favorite blogs" in the lower right side-bar column.
Thanks for stopping by.